#FilmFeb is a twitter conversation initiated by Jason Avery, every day in February 2018 a new film photography-related question is posted. I thought it would be a great idea to put all my answers in this post. It will be updated throughout the month.
1) What are your top 3 goals with film for 2018?
- create a dedicated darkroom/printing space at home (current one is a makeshift space on a small desk, it is also my bedroom)
- try out cotton rag photo paper
- develop E6 slide film at home
2) What film are you excited about using the most?
Rollei Infrared 4×5
3) One camera, one film, one film; which three would you choose?
- Camera: Mamiya RB67
- Film: Ilford HP5+
- Location: Amadiya (Amedi) in Iraqi Kurdistan
4) Any tips for first time developers?
- bring scissors into the changing bag
- label your chemicals
- chemical/temperature measurements can be approximate (b&w)
Inevitably you will mess up, just remember you are not alone, like I did with the above ones. Have fun!
5) What’s your favourite instant film & why?
Fujifilm FP-3000B – it is pure magic. On the other hand I can’t wait to (save some money) and shoot some 8×10 Polaroids!
6) Do you use the zone system? Any tips?
No, as I mainly shoot 35mm and medium format, incorporating zone system might be too much. It is more feasible when shooting large format. I will look into it when I shoot LF!
7) What cameras are on your 2018 wish list?
- Nikon S3
- Pentacon Six
- Graflex Speed Graphic 4×5
Very ambitious I would say, but you gotta think big!
8) Light meter or spot? Why?
Light meter because I don’t have a spot meter. I use in-camera / phone light meters.
9) Do you have camera conventions in your area?
Not that I know of, though I don’t actively reach out to/search for conventions. There is the camera gear market, it is gear-centric though. Wish there were more film camera communities and photo clubs here.
10) Would you give a camera to a friend to get them started in photography?
Yes, disposable film cameras, they are a casual and fun way to start photography. Olympus OM / Nikon FE(2) would be the serious choice.
11) Share your best image from 2017
I don’t usually pick the best images from a year but discovering wet markets in Bangkok is the most memorable.
12) Are you trying a new format for 2018?
Yes, I have barely shot a few sheets of 4×5, but I am gonna shoot 8×10 this year. Hopefully!
13) Are you film only or you have digital too?
14) Do you have a darkroom or plans to build one?
Whenever I need to print, I clean up my desk first. I plan to make it a dedicated space this year. Here is a photo when not in use.
15) Recommend a fabulous photography shop.
I really want to recommend a local shop in Hong Kong but I can’t. Mine goes to KHB Photografix in Canada. They are specialized in enlargers/accessories and I got my Omega from them. A lot of info on their site! http://www.khbphotografix.com/
16) What is the weirdest thing you have ever photographed?
My great-uncle’s funeral, it was quite different and weird.
17) Top 5 Films
- Fujifilm Velvia 50
- Fujifilm Acros 100
- Kodak Ektar
- Ilford HP5+
- Ferrania P30
18) Have you built your own camera?
No. I would probably make some pinholes out of shoeboxes and cans, but really I can’t be bothered
19) Have you ever used chromogenic film?
I have shot 1 or 2 rolls of XP2 and didn’t like it.
20) What style of photography would push you out of your comfort zone?
Fashion and wildlife, both I have never done.
21) What film developing chemicals do you recommend and why?
I recommend HC-110 as a general purpose developer. HC-110, T-MAX, Rollei Rodinal are the only ones I have used; I have not tried enough developers to make more intelligent advice.
22) Who would you spend a day shooting with?
Sebastião Salgado or Ted Forbes, both of them are very passionate about educating the next generation. I can probably learn a lot by just talking to them.